The Fabricated Goddess

Monday, November 06, 2006

Highly Prolific Starter: Here.....

Welcome to confession Monday. I must confess I have no idea what I'm going to write about yet, so I'll just ramble if that's okay with you. As I was opening up my blog today I noticed that I have passed the 100th post mark, 104 to be exact. I have been blogging for over a year. By which I mean: I have a blog and I actually post in it on a semi-regular basis. Also, I've been consistently excercising for a year. I'm not sure what's going on here, but there seems to be a trend. A rather stable trend. This disturbs me on some level. I've always been more of a starter than a finisher. I can start something new like nobodies business, but somewhere between buying 12 bundles of mint green and dusty rose yarn and casting on the first three rows of that fabulous afghan, I lose intrest and desire to see the project through to fruition. You think I'm joking. Here's a list of just SOME of the things I have enthusiastically started over the years: - A hooked rug kitty or puppy (can't really remember) probably age 7 or 8. I finished about 12 rows and lost intrest, but managed to keep it unitl I was a teenager just in case I got interested again. - Various cross stitches, including some that were purchased after I got married and had deluded myself into thinking I had time to work on, even though I've never even liked cross stitch. I mean, who has time for cross stitching after you get married? There is all that sex to have and naked house cleaning to do. Right? - Several attempts to make a double sized afgan to drape elegantly (?) off the end of my bed in a variety of trendy colour combinations: mint and dusty rose, burgundy and dark green, royal blue and I-don't-know-what-colour, and finally, a pared down lime green, lavendar and aqua blue/torquoise baby sized stroller blanket. Shamefully, I still have all the wool from that last one. All started and none finished. - Embroidery floss for making those knotted bracelets?? Oh yeah, every colour under the rainbow. I think I made about three of the them. - Multi coloured teeny tiny glass beads and safety pins of every size for making 'friendship pins'. Remember those? You would pin them on your sneakers or your purse strap, and show everyone how popular you were by how many pins you had. I toted a plastic margarine container of those beads around for at least a decade and a half. - A box of 'woodles'. These were little geometric shapes made out of light weight wood that can be glued together in a variety of ways to create little insects or animals or flowers. Tracy (my cousin and partner in crime) talked me into these one summer. I think we were about 10 and 11. The idea was that we would make frogs and clowns and flowers, paint them, stick a magnet on the back and sell them at the flea market. I have no idea what flea market Tracy was planning on selling these at, but I recall we were to "make MILLIONS!!!" The marketing genius' plan had one tragic flaw: she was counting on me to do most of the work. I think you know the outcome of this one. A few years ago, I actually found the box of woodles in my closet at home (mum was on a "get-this-shit-out-of-here' rampage). I wrapped it up and gave it to her as a Christmas present. I'm sure that there is still a chance that this one could work for Trace, just probaly not on the sweat of my brow. Maybe she could hire some migratory workers, I'm sure they need something to do for the winter. - Several books have been started. And by started, I mean I thought up a title and never got past the first few pages. - Health kicks. Not eating sugar, not eating bread, not eating meat, eating only fruit for lunch, eating only once a day. Atkins, South Beach, Great Grains, Fit for Life, T-Factor....you name it. Usually these ridiculous attempts at healthy eating resulted in low blood sugar, low hemoglobin, and vast amounts of noxious gas. - Excercise regimes. Step aerobics, bungie cord strength training, gym memberships - I usually attend for the first month, then paid evert month for the rest of the year ('cause I signed the damned contract) and drove 8 blocks out of my way to get home so I could avoid passing the gym. Out of sight, out of mind, no? Oh yeah, and Susan Powter: STOP THE INSANITY - circa 1992....seriously, just stop. - Several home based businesses. Status: start, wait three months, quit. BeautiControl, some Laura Ashley knock off clothing and home design company that I can't even remember the name of anymore, Avon. I get sucked in by thinking I might actually make some money, while making my own hours and of course the free stuff you get with your "kit" when you pay your consultant sign up fee. Erin won't let me even consider these anymore, he just rolls his eyes and walks away. - Lots and lots of art tangents conceived and discarded only after I've spent money on NEW! and EXCITING! and EXPENSIVE! art supplies. And these are just some of the ones I can remember. I'm positive that there are lots more that I've blocked from my memory so as not to traumatize myself with the guilt of remembering. In light of all these, I'm really much more thrilled about the recent development of follow thru that I seem to be achieving. Blogging, excercise....wow. You all have no idea the sense of accomplishment I have about seeing that blogger front page say 104 posts. Make that 105.

4 Comments:

  • Oh my gosh I am so the same way and I'm still doing it. I actually bought some plasitc canvas patterns last month on Ebay to do some Barbie things for the girls and once I bought them and they arrived I though ya like when do I have time to do that? LOL

    By Blogger Rose, at 11/06/2006 10:16:00 a.m.  

  • I found a 24-pack of wooden dolly pegs in my wardrobe yesterday. Bought them last year at some point to make dolls in that old gypsy style, had high hopes...made one...took hours, and much blood sweat and tears! Needless to say (is there a pun on needles in there somewhere?!) that was as far as my dolly-making project went. Lx

    By Blogger Lizzy, at 11/06/2006 02:09:00 p.m.  

  • I hear ya. I started scrapbooking never got past the third page. I started making necklaces now 3 years later I have a drawer full of beads. I remember the first summer living in Kelowna I had high hopes of canning and selling them at the Farmer's Market, yeah right.
    It is nice when you do find something that you know you'll stay with - it's this photography thing for me.

    Congrats on page 105!! May there be 105 more coming our way!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/07/2006 09:44:00 a.m.  

  • Heeheeheehee... I'm exactly the same way. I've got a sketch book and a huuuge box of different kinds of pencils (regular, charcoal, colouring, metal colouring, aquarel) that I don't even know what to do with; I've started writing and never finished more stories than I care to even remember; I have several cross-stitches lying around myself that I've yet to finish (but I've just finished one that I'm sending to Ross' mother for Christmas, in only a week, record time!); not to mention my attempts to learn Indonesian, Mandarin, even the occasional programming langauge...

    I blame Gemini-ness myself. ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/03/2006 01:42:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home