The Fabricated Goddess

Friday, May 05, 2006

When I get where I'm going....

Dear Susan, Thank you for teaching me - thru your struggle - lessons I don't think I could ever have truly learned on my own. You remind me to be proud to be a mama - that the work done, both seen and unseen, is the most important work I could ever set out to do. You remind me that there are so many unseen priorities in life, far far beyond a clean floor and an organized pantry. You remind me that I am given only one shot at this life and that I damn well better get off my ass and do my best to live it to it's fullest - no regrets, no apologies. Thank you for being the beautiful person you were, however brief I think your stay was. You once quipped in the kitchen as we cleaned up coffee cups after our Tuesday morning M.O.M.s bible study, that maybe I should take you shopping for make-up because you had no idea what you needed or what to buy. We never got around to that shopping trip, but trust me when I say, that I can think of no one more beautiful than you were in these last few painful days, as you suffered so much, but trusted God all the same. Thank you for helping jerk me out of what was left of my reverie - whatever was left of my post-partum depression is now gone. I can clearly see that the only benefit that will come from dwelling there in that place any longer (already far longer than was necessary) is that Satan (or the Darkness, or demons both personal and spiritual, or whatever term you choose to identify evil with) will have his way and to that I say a resounding NO. This is me today. I wore my newest pretty pink dress in celebration of you and the life you lived. I hope your home-coming was grand. I'll see you when I get there, girl, but I can't promise I won't miss you until then. Now spread your wings and fly. Loves, m. [EDITED TO ADD: For those of you who don't know (and I realise many of you won't) Susan was an amazing lady in our church who was part of our leadership team for our Mom's Morning Out group. Despite some ongoing health issues, serving others was a way of life for Susan. She was a funny, down to earth, unassuming kind of lady. Her dry witty one liners kept us constantly laughing, right up to the bitter end when a complicate battle with some serious illnesses took her life. As our team leader always says, "I'm so happy to be doing life with all of you - the good, the bad and everything in between" and I echo that this week as we say goodbye to Susan. Thanks to all of you who read here and "do life" with me.]

4 Comments:

  • Ok you do it to me everytime. You make me cry. But thanks for the amazing tribute to Susan.
    But just in case you didn't know it from me yet, I love you and I am glad God gave me you as a friend.

    By Blogger Treasured Grace, at 5/07/2006 10:21:00 p.m.  

  • Okay I don't know who Susan is but you made me cry too. Your such an awesome person Michelle. Never change the you inside.

    By Blogger Rose, at 5/07/2006 11:10:00 p.m.  

  • I don't know who Susan is either, but I'm sure that somewhere, she's smiling at the message you left her here. I know I am. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/08/2006 03:36:00 a.m.  

  • Well little girl seems you are making all of us cry. You were lucky to have Susan for a friend but she as well was blessed with you in her life. Thank you for your words they make us all want to get going before the ship is out at sea. Love you child, Mum

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/09/2006 12:30:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home