The Fabricated Goddess

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Tuesday Museday....

My sweet mum and I have had a glorious visit. She has been here over a whole week now. We've been thrifting and sewing up a storm. She's been setting me straight on all my fashion faux pas. For instance: apparently I've been wearing my skirts too long, and my double buns (a la Princess Leia) are - and I quote - "not cool". On the otherhand, she does approve of my funky collection of vintage bakelite and glass necklaces and bracelets. No visit would be complete without the "there's a right way to do everything and I'm going to show you what it is" conversations. Not only is this expected behaviour from my mother, it is welcomed. I haven't nicknamed her "the queen of all things" for nothing, after all. More importantly though, I threatened to medicate her in her old age if she picks on my style choices too much. This made her laugh and all is well. I really am quite grateful to have her here. She is the reason that I am even a little bit together and grown up. I'm sure there are time that she wonders what the heck happened to me. Like when we cleaned up the kitchen last night and she counted my forks (who counts forks I ask you??) and discovered that I was three short of the dozen that are surely required by law. I really could not be sure when or how they went missing and could muster only a faintly concerned "huh, weird" - she must lay awake at night asking herself if she went wrong somewhere. All in all though, I know I am who I am because I was raised by such love from both my parents. Ever grateful and blessed. And now a truly horrible picture of us both.... Thanks for everything mum.

3 Comments:

  • Awwwww, you two are so cute! I am pleased as punch to have met your mom (FINALLY) I am also ever grateful for her seamstress ability. Tianna's dress looks absolutely amazing! Thanks so much Nanek.

    By Blogger Treasured Grace, at 5/23/2006 10:55:00 p.m.  

  • How lovely :) I hope I have that kind of relationship with my mum when I'm 'grown up' lol :) Lizzy xx

    By Blogger Lizzy, at 5/25/2006 07:28:00 a.m.  

  • Heeheehee, you both really are cute! My mother fusses about the whole utensils thing too, I've got my own set but I put it in the house kitchen drawer so everyone can use it. When I first did, she was like, "Are you sure you want to do that? The others might lose or break some of them and you won't have a full set anymore!"

    ...It's a mom thing, I swear. ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/26/2006 11:29:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home